5/7/17

Grandma Benson's Boiled Salad Dressing

This was a staple in Grandma's kitchen.

3/4 c sugar
1 c vinegar
1 and 1/2 c water
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp salt
3 eggs, beaten

Combine ingredients and cook until thick in double-boiler over medium heat.
It will keep in the fridge for a month.
I use it in potato salad and cole slaw, and even on tossed salads.
Great for egg salad too.


I don't have a double boiler so just stirred slowly and constantly until the dressing thickened, but didn't boil. 

I find a complete recipe lasts a little longer than I prefer, so I've begun making a half-batch:

6 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp flour
1 and 1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten

2 comments:

  1. Oh paprika. Must not leave out paprika.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make this one for sure, always prefer a good homemade boiled dressing to the supermarket stuff. Wonder where the double boiler insert is...

    ReplyDelete